Monday, June 10, 2013

Thinking Back 1

This past year I had a major change to my schedule. Instead of teaching Reading and Writing, I only taught Reading. That meant I only saw each group of students once a day. I loved it! I had fewer discipline problems and my day seemed a little less stressful. Yes, I had to pick up one 8th grade class again, which was a challenge, but I really like my new schedule.
Another change I made was adding a Reading Workshop day. It is something I really wanted to do but I wasn't sure if I could make it work. Honestly, as I was doing it, I wasn't sure if it was worth all the extra stress. The student groups, the conferences, the mini lessons, I felt like I was always running around. My students still complained that they did not like to read. Starting in January, my workshop schedule was not a consistent and I considered not bothering with it next year. Then, at the end of the year, I realized a few things. 1. Middle school students are always going to say they don't like to things. That is just the way they communicate. 2. Many of my students, no matter what they say, enjoy reading. My proof? For 2 1/2 weeks after the OAA, I could look around my room and see my students reading. I didn't have to remind them to read, I didn't have to tell them to be quiet. All I had to do was say " Find a spot" and I could look around and see kids all over the room (under desks, on bar stools, at their desks). They flew through their Lit. circle books and many, actually most, read a second book during the allotted time. I have NEVER had groups do this during Lit. Circles at the end of the year. Normally I fight to get my students to sit and read.
I will be doing workshop again this year. I will be going through my workshop curriculum guide ( my masters project) and making some adjustments. I just wanted to take this space to remind myself of how excited I was to see my students reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment